Re: DSM: school all year...

From: Gayle Remisch (tegdib@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 19:43:45 EDT

We do year round. The ministry of Ed in Ontario requires 194 teachable
days. Our kids get 260 - which leaves them 66 days to take holidays or
days off whenever they want to. Most of them do end up taking them in
August, but because of the flexiblity they don't find it disruptive to
their learning. Things are pretty much the same when they come back.
New Students can start anytime.

We also have Voluntary Attendance. That's one difference I've found
between us and some sudbury schools. We wanted to have them attending
because they wanted to be here. With Voluntary Attendance and Year
round calendar, we end up with students actually attending many more
days than they are required to by the Ministry.

Gayle