Re: DSM: decisions, decisions!

From: Gayle Remisch (tegdib@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 21:52:32 EDT

Hi, I live in London ONtario and am Principal of Banyan Tree (Un)School
based on the SVS model as well. I'm also a Homeschooling mum.

It is hard for us to trust that our children will be capable of finding
their own way. Just like the first time they ride their bikes without
the training wheels, will they fall? Am I doing the right thing?
Personally, I say, grab the opportunity and do everything you can to be
involved and supportive. Unbiasedly, I'd say, there's no time like the
present and like like getting your drivers licence, there's always a
way to get what you want. If, later on he wants to go back to public
school, he'll be much better prepared to make that conscious decisioun
after being at an SVS style school where he's had the opportunity to be
a trusted and respected member of the community - where he has the
awesome experience of learning how to trust himself and his own
judgments. No matter how he compares in curriculum to other peers, the
character building alone will give him what he needs to get on in life
successfully.

Also, ask yourself if all those curriculum and social folkways are
appropriate or are you just looking at going back to the "devil you
know"?

Brings back to mind the part in Grace Llewellyn's TEENAGE LIBERATION
HANDBOOK about swimming against the current just to get back to
something we're used to even though it doesn't work and we hate it.

I'd definitely take the opportunity if I were you... hey wait a minute
I did, I became principal of Banyan Tree, so I could give the
opportunity to my daughter... seeing as there wasn't a SVS near back
then, I used the old homeschooling motto, "if it doesn't exsist...
create it, if you can't find it... make your own"

just my humble opinion,
Gayle Remisch
Banyan Tree
130 Centre Street