DSM: RE: RE: free school definition

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 07:54:13 EDT

> First ask them what they mean by a 'free school'.

Yes, I agree. While the definition of "Sudbury School" is by no means
agreed upon, at least it is by definition informed by the tradition and
culture of Sudbury Valley School. Therefore, when a group decides to start
one, they all have a generally agreed-upon goal in mind as well as a point
of reference to guide them.

Unless a group of founders attended the same free school at the same time,
the same cannot be said for the term free school. I think many people see
varying degrees of anarchy fitting within free schools. I have even heard
folks speak of Sudbury Valley as a free school.

This sounds like a good Alan Klein question.

-Joe Jackson