DSM: Re: Play's the thing

From: Karen Locke (lockekaren@qwest.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 23:01:46 EDT

Thanks, Mike, for the play articles. When I was trying to convince people
around here that SVS was a good model I did a paper on this subject. One
interesting thing to me (and I didn't get very many deep articles) was that
most research on kid's play is in preschool or even infancy. The play of
school- aged kids is totally ignored or discouraged. Unless, of course, it
fills some adult need (like Little League). After seeing my own kids at our
Unschool and the kids at SVS, I thought this was very sad. The energy and
excitement kids show when they're doing something they've chosen seems to me
to indicate there's something right here. They must be getting something
they need. Not scientific. But gut-level true!
Karen Locke
formerly of Twin Cities Unschool
soon to work at The Village School, Northfield MN