Re: DSM: Computer Games

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 11:03:09 EDT

Hi there:

Mike Sadofsky wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to include the URL. Here it is.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/10/magazine/10WWLN.html
>
> Mike

Thanks, Mike, for the information. It supports what I've long
suspected: that the fantasy world of video games gives a
healthy outlet for people's -- make that mostly boys' -- innate
desire for violent kinds of play. If they don't do it in fantasy
they'll probably do it for real.

As a child I used to play with real bows and arrows, swords
and spears (my dad kept his guns locked up, but the other
weapons weren't, for some unknown reason! -- though the
swords, at least, were stage swords, not sharp.) Fortunately I
never harmed anyone, even by mistake, but it could have just
been good luck.

And this, despite being brought up in a household that
supported Gandhian principles to the hilt -- both my parents
were close associates of Mahatma Gandhi, and in fact my Dad
was his personal physician.

I think kids -- especially boys -- will play at violent games
whether adults forbid them to do so or not. If they don't do it
openly, they will do it secretly. Video games may well go a
long way towards ensuring that these activities remain merely
games, and do not become bloody reality.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>