Re: DSM: "Sudbury Universities"

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 19:56:56 EDT

Hi Chantal,

Thanks for replying.

I agree that things are likely to change for the better in the future.

I also think that it is the people who will have to lead: the "leaders"
will have to follow. (Funny, that, what?)

But my point is that in institutions of so-called "higher" learning
we have greater, not less, inertia and resistance to change than we
have in elementary and secondary schools. Until the universities,
colleges and research institutions of the world begin to throw off
the shackles of indoctrination -- the way Neill did decades ago in
Germany and England -- we won't get any institutions of "higher"
learning to which we should HOPE that homeschooled kids and
graduates of Sudbury / Summerhill type schools should go! On
the contrary, it ought to be our hope that our kids whom we have
brought up with considerable difficulty to think independently for
themselves will *not* throw away this precious gift when they
are eighteen, by enrolling in one of these brainwashing centres.

Besides, there are other ways to make a living than getting a job.
Just as one ought to think for oneself, one ought also to earn for
oneself -- not by selling one's self to a large corporation, but by
providing something useful and valuable to humanity as a whole.
If my kids do that when they are grown up, they might even make
much *more* money than if they were to get the best grades at a
presitigious university and then go to work for a multinational
corporation.

After all, even Bill Gates (not that he's in any way my hero!) was
a *dropout* from Harvard, rather than a Harvard *graduate*. And
Steve Jobs, who co-founded Apple Computer, also did not get
to finish his university education. Right now I am using hardware
and software from both these dropouts in order to communicate
my ideas -- even those which I am communicating here.

Best wishes,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>

[ORIGINAL POST]