Re: DSM: "Sudbury Universities"

From: Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 19:49:22 EDT

In addition, The Union Institute, a graduate and undergraduate program for
mid-career people has just bought Vermont College to add its MA program. My
father has been a
Core Faculty Member" at Union for many years. PhD learners at TUI are the
chairs of their own doctoral committees, design their own interdisciplinary
programs (which may or may not include traditional coursework), and finish
by creating a "Project Demonstrating Excellence" (PDE), which may or may not
take the form of a traditional dissertation. In many ways the PDE is the PhD
version of a democratic school's "Thesis Defense" as a means of earning the
school's diploma. In the latter case, one is "proving" that one is ready to
take responsibility for oneself in the outside world. In the former case,
one is "proving" that one has the requisite knowledge and has made the
requisite contribution to one's field(s) to take one's place as a "Doctor of
Philosophy".

I would also mention Hampshire College, in Amherst, MA. My daughter just
graduated from Hampshire. In many ways it is an undergraduate version of The
Union Institute.

Does anyone know if a significant number (or any) SVS students have gone on
to Hampshire, Vermont College, or The Union Institute?

~Alan