Re: DSM: "Sudbury Universities"

From: jlamb@norwich.edu
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 16:44:25 EDT

Chantal wrote:

     Universities should be places of higher learning and research not a
     continuation of the K-12 endoctrination like they are now in many
     disciplines, especially at the undergrad level.

I have been involved in homeschooling and alternative schools since I was a
child. As an adolescent I went to Summerhill School in England and then
spent a few years homeschooling before deciding I wanted to go to College.
I could have gotten in to many traditional college's even with my
non-traditional background, but I didn't want to - I wanted to find
somewhere where I could continue to study independently and where my strong
voice, curiosity, and independence wouldn't be squelched!! I found VERMONT
COLLEGE. I entered Vermont College's Adult Degree Program which is
designed for adult students but occasionally has younger students (now
Vermont College has a program specifically designed for traditional
college-age students called New College) and found a school where my
interests and experience drove my education. Students are only on campus
one weekend a month or twice a year for a week long residency meeting with
faculty mentors and students and planning independent studies. It is the
most holistic higher education program I know of. What is exciting is not
what I was able to study but how. Each semester I chose a topic I felt
passionate about and created an independent study with the help of a
faculty mentor. I chose the books, the essay topics, the route my study
would take. I developed my ability to think, and make connections in the
world and in the world of ideas. No grades, no high and mighty authority.
The mentors are there to support and guide you. I've become good friends
with many of them. Now I work here and love it. I'm proud of my
alternative education and in this world that still cares about degrees I'm
glad I have one and that it was such a joy to receive it. I joined this
list serve because of my long time interest in alternative education, but I
was interested in how much children and parents and teachers are thinking
about where their students can go on to College and receive a similiar
holistic student driven education. I'm glad the topic has come up and glad
to add to it. You can also receive teacher licensure through this same
model of education and be living anywhere in the country. If anyone would
like more detailed information about how Vermont College works I'd be happy
to post a more detailed description or you can email me directly. Do
people think about what Sudbury students will do when they finish and what
their options are for higher education?

Jasmine Lamb
Admissions Counselor
Vermont College