Re: DSM: "Sudbury Universities"

From: GazetteAsteur@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 15:40:08 EDT

Hi there,

Thanks for answering my post.

I have to admit that I am not to familiar with the science field, which is
why I said in most cases "sudbury universities" are unecessary and not in all
cases.

Nevertheless, the point you bring up is a good one, i.e. "how many
journalists who *do* puruse the truth get a decently-paying job at any good
paper, magazine or TV
network?"

First, I don't think there are many good paper, magazine or TV network, so
right there, the market is limited.

But, the point I would really like to make is the following...

The media giants, much like the government-run school system, will never
change from the top. For the media, it will take people who stop reading or
watching them, advertisers to stop advertising in them, and journalists who
don't take positions where they can't fully do their job.

With the school system, it will take parents pulling their children out of
the schools and teachers refusing to be agents of the state.

In both cases, if the people lead, the leaders will follow because they will
have to do so.

In my opinion, the press is just as responsible for the government school
mess we have as the gov. itself. BTW, the mess in education is what brought
me to look for alternatives and led me to Sudbury.

I may not be rich and I don't have a decently-paying job but at least, I'm
not contributing to the media madness. Like you, I publish on the web and I
sell a story once in a while. Much like parents who make sacrifices to send
their children to private schools or homeschool instead of using the free but
bad babysitter of the state, I'm poor but at least my conscience is at peace.

I think that as people start to re-think the way we educate children, we will
also start to re-think the way we educate adults for certain professions.
Universities should be places of higher learning and research not a
continuation of the K-12 endoctrination like they are now in many
disciplines, especially at the undergrad level.

People used to argue that homeschoolers would not get into colleges but now
they do. I believe that eventually the myth that you cannot get a good job
without a college education will also be proven wrong.

My two cents,
Chantal