RE: DSM: RE: discussions

From: Mitch Berg (
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 14:51:29 EDT

> > Other parents were not really interested. Mainly because a good portion
> > of the parents are from two-parent/only one works households - and they
> > saw it themselves as having the summer off without having to drive back
> > and forth to school.
> >
> > I guess thats the part of mainstream brainwashing that hasn't broken
> > through even such a radical paradigm as Sudbury.
> Excuse me for butting in here (been mostly lurking for quite some
> time), but
> what's "mainstream brainwashing" about wanting to spend a relaxing summer
> with your kids without having to adhere to a schedule and drive back and
> forth? I can certainly understand those parents anyway and don't
> see why it
> would be detrimental to the children either.

That'd be my question, too. I mean, my question WAS purely innocent, and I
didn't mean to stir up one of those inbox-clogging brouhahas at which this
list seems to excel :-) but I'm curious, now.

I'm a single father of two kids, and I do NOT get summers off, so the
question is a complex one for me; would it be better to have them in a
Sudbury school when I'm not home, or with the neighbor/babysitter and not at
school AT ALL, just playing?

>Although I am not part of the
> category you mention of two-parent households with one at home, I
> certainly
> appreciate the (unfortunately not too often) times when my kids don't have
> school and I also don't have to work, and part of that is certainly not
> having to get up and be someplace first thing in the morning. Or did I
> somehow miss your point?

Yeah, I wonder about that, too. Summers at home may be an artifact of an
agrarian time, but they can be a very NICE artifact. Isn't time at home, on
their own or with the parents, just as good as time spent in a Sudbury
school in the long run? Or do some of you eschew even THAT much parental

Possible missed points duly admitted in advance.

Mitch Berg
Mean Dad
Saint Paul

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message:

This mailing list is archived at