DSM: "Sudbury Universities"

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 14:47:46 EDT

Hi Chantal:

You wrote:

> In a message dated 6/6/01 9:43:06, ardeshir@sympatico.ca writes:
>
> << It's a terrible fate. There may be Sudbury Schools, but there
> are no "Sudbury Universities"! >>
>
> I think in most cases "Sudbury universities" are unecessary. Adults, much
> like children, can learn on their own and with mentors what they need to
> learn to be productive individuals.

Well, yes and no. One can puruse learning as an adult, of course,
on one's own, but then so can children. But try getting a paid position
with your own learning!

In science, in fact, you can't even get your papers published in science
journals (or for that matter in any others) unless you conform to the
current dogma.

> I went to college to become a journalist now I almost wish I hadn't. All it
> did is brainwash me into the liberal bias of the media in general. Journalism
> programs are nothing but farms for the mainstream press giants.
>
> I became a journalist because I wanted to find and tell the truth.
> Universities don't show journalists how to find the truth and they tend not
> to like it when you dare tell the truth....go figure!

Exactly my point.

And how many journalists who *do* puruse the truth get
a decently-paying job at any good paper, magazine or TV
network?

Anyone can tell the truth -- all by himself or herself. But that
does not inhibit the spread of lies, which are disseminated at a
much faster rate supported by much more abundant funding!

> Today, I am a journalist but it's not because I have a job in the mainstream
> press, it's because I value the ethics of my profession enough not to take
> such "job".
>
> Chantal

And I am a scientist and logician (among other things) for exactly
the same reasons. But I have never made a penny from either
science or logic! And indeed I think I never will.

And yet my work is excelent ... anyone who reads my stuff on my
Home Page can see for themselves.

The Internet may be a way out of this conundrum, partly. Once
it is possible to at least put your stuff out for everyone with a
computer and a modem to read, it is possible to make *some*
impact on the world (though of course you still won't get *paid*
for it!)

All the best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>