Re: DSM: RE: discussions

From: Susan Starling (Susan.Starling@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 14:19:52 EDT


Kolleen wrote:

> Other parents were not really interested. Mainly because a good portion
> of the parents are from two-parent/only one works households - and they
> saw it themselves as having the summer off without having to drive back
> and forth to school.
>
> I guess thats the part of mainstream brainwashing that hasn't broken
> through even such a radical paradigm as Sudbury.

Excuse me for butting in here (been mostly lurking for quite some time), but
what's "mainstream brainwashing" about wanting to spend a relaxing summer
with your kids without having to adhere to a schedule and drive back and
forth? I can certainly understand those parents anyway and don't see why it
would be detrimental to the children either. Although I am not part of the
category you mention of two-parent households with one at home, I certainly
appreciate the (unfortunately not too often) times when my kids don't have
school and I also don't have to work, and part of that is certainly not
having to get up and be someplace first thing in the morning. Or did I
somehow miss your point?

Susan Starling
----- Original Message -----
From: <MssKolleen@aol.com>
To: <discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: DSM: RE: discussions

> >Which begs ONE question - do SVS model schools close for the summer?
>
> >>Ours does. As far as I know, they all do.
>
>
> Cedarwood Sudbury in Santa Clara, CA does not. I lobbyed for one myself
> because I don't understand how the thought of an education should stop
> for the summer and change hands to another form of "education" (be it
> summer camp, day care etc.)
>
> Other parents were not really interested. Mainly because a good portion
> of the parents are from two-parent/only one works households - and they
> saw it themselves as having the summer off without having to drive back
> and forth to school.
>
> I guess thats the part of mainstream brainwashing that hasn't broken
> through even such a radical paradigm as Sudbury.
>
>
> Kolleen
>
> ===========
>
> If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO
> majordomo@sudval.org with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
> subject) of the message:
>
> unsubscribe discuss-sudbury-model [the-subscribed-email]
>
> If you are interested in the subject, but the volume of mail sent is too
much,
> you may wish to consider unsubscribing from this list and subscribing to
> "dsm-digest"
>
> This mailing list is archived at http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives

===========

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO
majordomo@sudval.org with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message:

unsubscribe discuss-sudbury-model [the-subscribed-email]

If you are interested in the subject, but the volume of mail sent is too much,
you may wish to consider unsubscribing from this list and subscribing to
"dsm-digest"

This mailing list is archived at http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0.0 : Mon Nov 05 2001 - 20:24:29 EST