Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yesor no?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 02:48:17 EDT

Hi Alan:

Alan Klein wrote:

> Ardeshir,
>
> You write, "The SSU, as it was called for short, was run by a *very* gifted
> teacher, Garvin King from Trinidad, who was very strict without being at all
> offensive. Cyrus loved him, and he worked such a miracle that by the time
> Cyrus was 8 or 9 years of age, his temper
> tantrums had completely -- and I mean *completely* -- gone."
>
> I have no doubt about your son's love for the teacher, nor do I doubt the
> improvement you saw in his behavior, nor do I doubt the importance of
> properly diagnosing true medical conditions. I don't necessarily, though,
> draw the same conclusion you did. My understanding of Tourette's Syndrome is
> that it is not at all unusual for the individual to get better at
> controlling their outbursts as they get older. To credit the teacher for
> working miracles may be a bit strong, as well as premature.

You are quite right, of course. Cyrus says that as he is getting
older he is much more able to control himself. But he also
credits much of his improvement between the ages of 6 and
10 to Mr King. He says that the way Mr King related to him,
strictly but with obvious affection, he would make it a point
to try and control himself. He still speaks of Mr King, four
years after their ways parted, as the best teacher he ever had
-- in a class by himself, in fact.

I believe Cyrus is right, because, as I said, although in those
days he never had temper tantrums at school, he did have some
at home. I am absolutely hopless at "being strict", as you can
imagine! And Claire, my wife, is not much better than I am.
I prefer to have our home democratically run, and feel much
more comfortable in a situation in which all the members of
the household are equals and have an equal say. We have
strong, passionate and sometimes even loud arguments, as
a result -- but that's what democracy is all about, in my
opinion!

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>