Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: morticia crone (medea9mac@surfeu.de)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 16:41:34 EDT

hello! i'm writing for the first time here, hope this goes through. i want
to mention that i enjoy being on this list and taking part in your input.
there was some mention of the "ideal" situation being that all schools were
sudbury schools. well, that would be good, especially since so far all of
the sudbury schools except for one in oregon classified as a "charter"
school that i have found out about cost an arm and a leg. i know this isn't
exactly the hot topic at this point, but i thought this is as good a place
as any to get some advice. i'll be moving with my three daughters (two of
which are school age, experiences ranging from montessori to waldorf to
public in two countries in two languages) to california this summer. i
desperately hope to find something other than mainstream sausage-stuffing
curriculum, but i can't afford the tuition. i'm not trying to get a debate
started regarding tuition, rather i am asking for help. does anybody know
of similar
schools that are publicly funded? or even SVM schools that are "charter",
i.e. supported by the state? i've been through the SERN site already. i'm
looking at the northern california area, sacramento, inland from the bay
area, around there, i'm not picky, it just has to have a good school for my
girls and a university for me (and a rural area where we can live even if
the school is urban).
i hope no one is too put off by my breaking in like this.
regards,
morticia