RE: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 18:27:43 EDT

> I would suggest that personal responsibility is a fact of
> life. In the end, each person is responsible for
> him/herself.

Perhaps this, too is an oversimplification: yes, we all ultimately *bear*
responsibility for our actions (we pay for what we do), but not everyone
"takes" responsiblity for what they have done (owns up to it either
internally or externally), or even takes responsibility for themselves in
the context of the culture in which they live (avoids behaving in a manner
of which if everyone behaved the world would explode).

I believe that when someone learns these latter forms of "taking
responsiblity", it is not because someone has taught them. In fact it is
always aside from, or in spite of the fact that someone tried to teach them.

-Joe