Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 16:53:18 EDT

Warren McMillan wrote:

> Ardeshir writes:
> >In that case, would it *really* be better to let the child go back
> >to a traditional school?
>
> "Better"? No. Agreed, traditional schools are not *better* at inculcating
> responsibility in students but I thought we were talking about students who,
> for whatever reason, decide not to take responsibility for themselves and
> proceed to poison the atmosphere of a Sudbury school. Due process at the
> Sudbury school must ultimately allow for the expulsion of that student. To
> suggest some kind of 'direction' or 'guidance' be offered that student
> within the Sudbury school compromises its principles, if I understand them
> correctly. My point is, compromise of this kind simply turns the Sudbury
> school into a traditional school in this respect and so better to send the
> student back to a traditional school where they already do that.
> Compromising the principles in this regard will damage the school without
> helping the student. The offering of 'direction' or 'guidance' is the
> slippery slope that traditional schools have already slid down to find
> themselves where they are today... "dealing" with irresponsible students.
>
> Warren

But wouldn't that same argument apply to *adults* in a democracy
-- say, the USA, or Canada -- who *decide* not the take responsi-
bility? Should they be sent to live in some other country, say Iraq,
where there is no democracy, simply because they do not want to
take responsibility here, and we need to preserve our own democratic
way of life?

What I am saying is, that if we want to prepare our kids for life in a
demcracy, and if in our adult democracy we will not under any circum-
stances send anyone away to a country where a non-democratic way of
life prevails, we should not do that to the children either. Otherwise
what kind or message are we sending the kids?

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>