Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Warren McMillan (warren@bmts.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 10:56:54 EDT

William writes:
> Well, it is akin to a skill. Maybe an attitude or a personality trait,
> something originally "taught" at home

This is, respectfully, my point. If you feel that responsibility is a skill
or attitude, something that can be "taught", then you don't need anything
between SVS and traditional schools because that's exactly the way
traditional schools approach responsibility. Traditional schools deny
students freedom and must, therefore, deny them responsibility as well
because responsibility can only be the result of a freely chosen course of
action. Their response, like their response to everything else, is to
"teach" responsibility leaving the poor student to believe that
responsibility itself is something that can be granted by some external
authority figure. So when this student arrives, dazed and confused, at a
Sudbury school, what do you do? Offer him more of the same?

Best regards
Warren