Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Warren McMillan (warren@bmts.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 09:58:46 EDT

Ardeshir writes:
>In that case, would it *really* be better to let the child go back
>to a traditional school?

"Better"? No. Agreed, traditional schools are not *better* at inculcating
responsibility in students but I thought we were talking about students who,
for whatever reason, decide not to take responsibility for themselves and
proceed to poison the atmosphere of a Sudbury school. Due process at the
Sudbury school must ultimately allow for the expulsion of that student. To
suggest some kind of 'direction' or 'guidance' be offered that student
within the Sudbury school compromises its principles, if I understand them
correctly. My point is, compromise of this kind simply turns the Sudbury
school into a traditional school in this respect and so better to send the
student back to a traditional school where they already do that.
Compromising the principles in this regard will damage the school without
helping the student. The offering of 'direction' or 'guidance' is the
slippery slope that traditional schools have already slid down to find
themselves where they are today... "dealing" with irresponsible students.

Warren