DSM: Re: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 22:32:54 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ardeshir Mehta, N.D." <ardeshir@sympatico.ca>
> And also in response to those who think a Sudbury-type
> school is not for all children: Would that not be too much
> like saying that democracy is not for all people? Or that
> some nations might actually benefit from a lack of demo-
> cracy? Havn't we heard such arguments before -- in fact,
> and particularly, from people such as Peron, Franco and
> Mussolini?

Let us also not forget that, less recently but perhaps more analogously, we
heard it from the likes of Madison, Jefferson, and Washington. The dictators
you mention had no compunctions about denying voting rights to everyone. The
three I mention (among many others) felt that certain classes of people
(women, non-property owners, blacks) should be denied such control over
their own lives. In much the same way, the majority of people in this
country (and probably around the world) believe in denying such control to
kids.

~Alan Klein