Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 20:42:21 EDT

Hi there:

Warren McMillan wrote:

> I'll just throw this in here as a thought... Isn't this perhaps what
> traditional schools are for? I mean, freedom *with responsibility* is
> central to the SVS philosophy. Take the responsibility out, as in the case
> of a child who *decides* not to take it, and what do you have? Freedom with
> licence. This cannot be good for the school or the student. What kind of
> 'direction' can you offer a child who *decides* not to take responsibility?
> This is not a skill or a talent we're talking about here. It is a decision.
> Isn't it? If so, then wouldn't it be better to let the child go back to a
> traditional school where they know all about dealing with children who
> decide not to take responsibility.
>
> Warren

Let us admit for argument's sake, "Yes, this is what traditional
schools are for, and yes, they do know all about dealing with
children who decide not to take responsibility." But then the
question surely looms large: "What happens when such kids
become adults, as one day they will and must become?"

Surely it cannot be said that a traditional school will be *better*
able, in those intervening years, to inculcate a sense of repon-
sibility in such kids than will a Summerhill / Sudbury model
school. Can it?

"Dealing with" such kids is a far cry from inculcating in them
a sense of *real* responsibility -- and that is indispensable for
*all* adults in *any* decent society. The latter takes years,
though the former can even be accomplished with a few whacks
of the cane on the behind!

In that case, would it *really* be better to let the child go back
to a traditional school?

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>