Re: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Warren McMillan (warren@bmts.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 18:52:31 EDT

William writes:
>This seems to make my point
>that some kids need initial direction, whether from a teacher/mentor or
from
>a peer group culture. And, as it was said here, some kids can not (or will
>not ) adjust to the responsibility of freedom.

I'll just throw this in here as a thought... Isn't this perhaps what
traditional schools are for? I mean, freedom *with responsibility* is
central to the SVS philosophy. Take the responsibility out, as in the case
of a child who *decides* not to take it, and what do you have? Freedom with
licence. This cannot be good for the school or the student. What kind of
'direction' can you offer a child who *decides* not to take responsibility?
This is not a skill or a talent we're talking about here. It is a decision.
Isn't it? If so, then wouldn't it be better to let the child go back to a
traditional school where they know all about dealing with children who
decide not to take responsibility.

Warren