RE: DSM: The Sudbury model -- appropriate for all children, yes or no?

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 16:06:12 EDT

> Then these students get their direction from other students or the culture
> (official and unspoken rules) of the school. If there are too
> many of these
> students in a school, because then their role models will then be others
> with similar problems, the school may fail. This seems to make my point
> that some kids need initial direction, whether from a
> teacher/mentor or from
> a peer group culture. And, as it was said here, some kids can
> not (or will
> not ) adjust to the responsibility of freedom.

We try to address the issue of stability in the school culture not by
playing with the model, but by building the culture slowly. As I said
before, directing the activity of students is precisely the kind of practice
the Sudbury school avoids, as it is adult direction which prevents the
student from discovering what their passions are.

At our schools, the student learns about the culture by watching others and
experiencing the culture, but it is they who direct their actions.

And it is true that there are occasionally students who can't stay in the
school. But I have not seen that it is because they cannot adjust to the
responsibility of freedom; the students I've seen that fit this description
have already gotten themselves thrown out of all kinds of educational
situations, regardless of the level of freedom.

-Joe