Re: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

From: Alan Klein (
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 23:12:26 EDT

Alan wrote:
> >There is, of course, nothing to stop a School Meeting from
> >"actively/officially/institutionally interven(ing) to help troubled
> >students."
Bruce responded:
> Sure there is: it's respect for the individual, for his or her right to
> for help (or not), to decide for himself or herself how to resolve
> problems. JCs and School Meetings do impose sentences for rule violations.
> These sentences may have the effect of reinforcing more constructive
> behavior. Beyond sentencing, mediation is utilized at some schools as a
> of dealing with complex interpersonal issues.

Alan replies:
I understand and agree with your reasoning as it pertains to whether or not
it would be a good idea for the SM to create a rule mandating some kind of
intervention to help troubled students. However, I don't see any reason why
they could not do so if the majority so desired.

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message:

This mailing list is archived at