Re: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

From: Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 23:12:26 EDT

Alan wrote:
> >There is, of course, nothing to stop a School Meeting from
> >"actively/officially/institutionally interven(ing) to help troubled
> >students."

Bruce responded:
> Sure there is: it's respect for the individual, for his or her right to
ask
> for help (or not), to decide for himself or herself how to resolve
> problems. JCs and School Meetings do impose sentences for rule violations.
> These sentences may have the effect of reinforcing more constructive
> behavior. Beyond sentencing, mediation is utilized at some schools as a
way
> of dealing with complex interpersonal issues.

Alan replies:
I understand and agree with your reasoning as it pertains to whether or not
it would be a good idea for the SM to create a rule mandating some kind of
intervention to help troubled students. However, I don't see any reason why
they could not do so if the majority so desired.

~Alan