DSM: Re: Paradigm reading

From: Sugmapl@aol.com
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 23:05:50 EDT

Dear Folks,

Sudbury may be a paradigm shift. I am going to read anyone anywhere, who even
remotely suggests this paradigm shift. I ask your help. I would be deeply
grateful if you would tell me the authors and books that resonate with you,
the ones that inform your vision and understanding of Sudbury. I will read
them all. (And yes, David, please tell me the essential Rand).

My list of keeper authors, that in some vague way outline the discourse on
both sides of this paradigm shift, are listed below. My best understanding,
at the moment, is that Sudbury is operating from a new paradigm.

  Stanley Aronowitz SCIENCE AS POWER
  Virginia Axiline PLAY THERAPY
  Brad Blanton RADICAL HONESTY
  Bowles and Gintes SCHOOLING IN CAPITOLIST AMERICA
  John Bowlby ATTACHMENT
  Beverly Bos TOGETHER WE'RE BETTER
  Jere Brophy MOTIVATING STUDENTS TO LEARN
  Pema Choldron THE WISDOM OF NO EXIT
  Robert Coles THE MORAL INTELLIGENCE OF CHILDREN
  David Cooper THE DEATH OF THE FAMILY
  Rudolf Dreikurs CHILDREN THE CALLENGE
  Riane Eisler THE CHALICE AND THE BLADE
  David Elkind THE HURRIED CHILD
  Erick Erickson CHILDHOOD AND SOCIETY
  Faber and Mazlish LIBERATED PARENTS LIBERATED CHILDREN
  Robert Firestone THE FANTASY BOND
  Michel Foucault THE ARCHEOLOGY OF KNOWLEDGE
  Howard Gardner MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES
  Eugene Gendlin FOCUSING
  Hiam Genot PARENT AND CHILD
  Magda Gerber CARING FOR INFANTS WITH RESPECT
  Daniel Greenburg THE KINGDOM OF CHILDHOOD
  Hanna Greenberg THE ART OF DOING NOTHING
  Steven Harrison DOING NOTHING
  John Hart GOING SANE
  William Hinton FANSHEN
  Dee Hock THE BIRTH OF THE CHAORDIC AGE
  John Holt ESCAPE FROM CHILDHOOD
  Arthur Janov THE FEELING CHILD
  Sydney Jourard THE TRASPARENT SELF
  Alfie Kohn PUNISHED BY REWARDS
  Jonathan Kozol SAVAGE INEQUALITIES
  Thomas Kuhn THE STRUCTURE OF SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS
  R. D. Laing POLITICS OF THE FAMILY
  Jess Lair I AIN'T MUCH BABY, BUT I'M ALL I'VE GOT
  Eda LeShan I WANT MORE OF EVERTHING
  Stephen Levine HEALING INTO LIFE AND DEATH
  Rollo May MAN'S SEARCH FOR HIMSELF
  Alice Miller THE DRAMA OF THE GIFTED CHILD
  A. S. Neill SUMMERHILL
  Vivian Gussin Paley THE BOY WHO WOULD BE A HELICOPTER
  Catherine Ponder OPEN YOUR MIND TO PROSPERITY
  Carl Rogers ON BECOMING A PERSON
  Mimsy Sadofsky THE KINGDOM OF CHILDHOOD
  Virginia Satir NEW PEOPLE MAKING
  William Sears NIGHTTIME PARENTING
  Ricardo Semler MAVERICK
  Shunryu Suzuki ZEN MIND, BEGINNERS MIND
  Neale Walsch CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD
  John Wellwood JOURNEY OF THE HEART
  Ann Cornell Wieser THE POWER OF FOCUSING

Deep Regard,
Bill Richardson