Re: RE: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 18:01:39 EDT

>> It seems to me that *some* way has to be found to deal with
>> anti-social behaviour in *any* democracy. Unfortunately, in
>> most democracies we 'expel' such people by removing them
>> to prisons and jails where they will no longer be in contact
>> with society in general. But that merely shoves the problem
>> under the rug, as it were. It doesn't *eliminate* the problem,
>> rather the problem is merely *hidden away*, out of view.
>> To me, that doesn't appear to be constructive.

While I agree ideally in a 'free' society, we do need to address the
issue of those that are most damaged. Finding a constructive way, at this
point in our educational status as a culture, can end up being more of a
downfall for everyone else.

For a school to deal with a child that is as Stuart so aptly puts it
'hell on wheels', then the culture at home must support the schools
effort in tandem.

Now, heres the twist.. If a child is 'hell on wheels' then most likely
their home life is a good place to look for where the damage began.

So how can a school, with limited time, money and staff counteract damage
that is still being done after the child leaves the building?

just my .02 worth

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message:

This mailing list is archived at