RE: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 17:11:50 EDT

I don't think there are all that many expulsions at SM schools. What there
are a relative lot of are suspensions (at our school maybe 5-10 per year of
varying lengths), which are usually extremely constructive for the student.
When expulsions occur, they almost always do so because the student wants to
leave, making it again a most constructive event for the student.

In any case, as with any democratic culture the priority is with balancing
the rights of individuals and the collective and not with attempting to
"fix" individuals whose actions are intended to injure the culture. Having
said that, I believe the hard boundaries that an experienced SM school
culture uses to protect the school and individuals in it offer a far
*better* chance for destructive individuals to come to take responsibility
for themselves than cultures that feed them with therapeutic or
quasi-therapeutic measures.

-Joe Jackson