Re: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 13:59:45 EDT

I would be interested in knowing just how a Sudbury school
deals with gangs or groups of kids such as the one mentioned
in Stuart's e-mail below. Are they dealt with by expelling them?
Or is there some more constructive way?

It seems to me that *some* way has to be found to deal with
anti-social behaviour in *any* democracy. Unfortunately, in
most democracies we 'expel' such people by removing them
to prisons and jails where they will no longer be in contact
with society in general. But that merely shoves the problem
under the rug, as it were. It doesn't *eliminate* the problem,
rather the problem is merely *hidden away*, out of view.
To me, that doesn't appear to be constructive.

In contrast to adults, though, kids are not incorrigible. (Indeed
I am not convinced all adults are either, though *some* may be.)
Would it not be better, then, to work on the behaviour rather
than simply packing away the child -- sending him into 'exile',
as it were?

Any thoughts?

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>