Re: DSM: Re: Re: SM in Ontario

From: Diablo Valley School (dvschool@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 15:25:18 EDT

Dear Cindy,

I want to support wholehartedly Mimsy's comments
(below) about getting rid of people who are hangers on. In our early stages of
founding DVS, we had this problem a lot. The only saving grace was that I
am very committed to the Sudbury model and verbalized that there would not be
any compromises on the philosophy for this school. Eventually, people left on
their own. I just wish I had been stronger and more knowledgeable in terms of
sending them off sooner. It will endlessly drain you. Just voice clearly what
your intentions are and make it hard for them to stay, money is very good for
that last piece. Good luck. I know you'll make it! Amy Erez at Diablo
Valley School

Dear Cindy,

I apologize for
my ignorance about some of what may have gone on in the last
week or so on
the list. My email program is not being a loyal friend these
days!
 But I do know one thing: people in your tiny initial startup group of

5 who are negative (your word) will make it harder for you to get a school

started, not easier. Jettison them. Figure out what you think
are criteria
for founder's group members, and make sure the desire to create
a particular
type of school (think seriously, and in detail here) is a
largely important
criterion. Hangers-on can sap your energy and kill
the vitality of the two
people who know what they want. You don't have
to be democratic now -- you
and the other person (or both if it comes to
that) who know what you want can
just walk away. Also, is there some
money something going on here? Like a
small fee to be in this
illustrious group in order to keep it going? That
usually gets rid of
people who are hanging on for some obscure social or
psychological reason
only they can begin to know, but are not really
interested in the same
enterprise as you. Now it is yours; make sure you get
what you want!

Mimsy