DSM: Re: Re: Re: SM in Ontario

From: Warren McMillan (warren@bmts.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 15:46:45 EDT

Hi again. I'm not sure I would worry too much about the non-profit
structure etc. I am an un-incorporated non-profit and can decide the
structure however I want. I may apply for charity status but that is just
filling out the forms for tax purposes. As far as renting with no
students... without a physical site it is doubtful that parents will take
you seriously. You need a presence and people understand bricks and mortar.
I do understand the hesitation to put personal resources into something like
this... not exactly a blue chip investment scheme. My take on it though is
that putting my own resources into it sends me the message that I am serious
and that's all that matters... after all, we are here to do what we can and
who is going to remember how much you spent or lost in the end. To me, it's
about who I am so the money is not an issue.

My motto is: 'if you build it, they will come... or not' That last part is
important to me because it reminds me not to hang on to the outcome too
tightly. Even if they don't come, I'll still be better than I was.

Warren