DSM: RE: convesation wandering (formerly Hybrid Schools)

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 23:42:54 EDT

> Actually, since I view parenting, life and humanity as a Sudbury
> experience (for intense purposes of the meaning of Sudbury) I was
> ignorant in assuming that every other person involved in the discussion
> of Sudbury would want to embrace the concept beyond anything but Sudbury
> and Sudbury Models Schools.

Kolleen, your so cool ! If I weren't already hitched I'd propose ;-) I have
noticed
that parents who are more sympathetic to the whole idea are generally more
considerate to their children than is typical, and very much less likley to
"give
'em a good hard smack when they step out of line, otherwise they never
learn."
Make me want to weep just typing this.

> Joe, after being apart of the internet since many years before the
> introduction of the web, I can say that in this sterile environment,
> without the luxury of smiles, relaxed faces and hand gestures, it can
> create at atmosphere of defense - as opposed to just 'conversation'.

 Yes, on these pages there is a dearth of what passes for visual cues.

:-) ;-) X-< and the like. Dan would have to use :-# 'cos he's got a
beard!

> I apologize to all reading this for my assumption about the structure of
> what this list wishes to discuss - I was coming from the POV that Sudbuy
> is a lifestyle.

Me too, and don't you dare apologize.

It is = a b s o l u t l y = essential that we all, re-enforce the notion,
(and on a continuous basis so that new-comers to the list get the "big
picture") that
the SVS/SHS model is not dis-associated in any way from the world "outside".
There is no "we do this at school, but we quit when we leave". The model
provides
for the preparation for the world, -by putting the world outside, inside-.
That you
live the model in your "real life", for me, just says you live in the real
world. And
that you have a life!

> I was not mistaken that children cannot be free in any society until they
> are given the right to choose ALL that affects them ie: enviroment,
> health, etc

I take it here that you mean the children in the family context. As I
pointed out in onother post, parents must make some of the decisions.
If the parent has the right, so too does the child.

> I myself do not live in a democratic society if big businesses are
> allowed to pollute and genetically alter the things that sustain life
> itself. Hence my rights and freedoms are significantly stepped on by
> others.

Point taken, but this is smelling a little political, as can poison the
water of
SVS/SHS model.

> No culture can be balanced and treat children with respect as long as
> Corporal Punishiment is not outlawed.

Difficult to quantify. deserves another thread.

> Again, I humbly apologize for the assumption that Sudbury is a way of
> life, not just a model school for students ages 4-18, in this list. I
> retract all that I said and will use it to discuss with people that
> converse on the issues of life, all kinds, all ages all species, and the
> preservation of the freedoms and democracy sans coercion.

> If you want to upset someone, lie to them. If you really want to anger
> their being, tell them the truth.

Ha ha ha. You'd be as unpopular as me where I live!

Alexander Streater