DSM: RE: convesation wandering Our Trojon Horse digest

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 14:06:36 EDT

> > My persective is that we need to persuade the -education establishment-
> > to "compromise", to to accept "just a few decontrols". We don't have
> > move from our point, but they -must- move theirs.
> IMO a waste of time.

A position we can probably all sympathise with, but progress has been made
other countries, for the US it is just a matter of time.

> The Sudbury idea is not about reform; it is about revolution.

I don't realy agree. The SVS/SHS model is reform taken to it's logical and
inevitable conclusion. I don't mean to quibble, but this is important. We
realise that it only looks like a revolution from within the gold-fish-bowl
trad. edu. Once you are out of there, change is unavoidable.

> Many, many
> people have tried to reform the educational system to a less coercive
> for many, many decades; it is a waste of time compared to actively working
> to support a SM school.

I think you are right about that !

> Of course perhaps the insane pressures bearing on the American system are
> not as present in UK,

I had lo laugh at this given the view from the Japanese Ministry of

> and so maybe it's possible for a conventional school
> to actually turn into a Sands, but I seriously doubt it since the UK
> education ministry tries to wipe Summerhill and Sands off the face of the
> planet on a regular basis.

A regular basis is an exageration. And Ministry lost. And there are dozens
other schools, all of varying degrees of freedom in the country.

> I've nothing bad to say about all the wonderful people who sacrifice all
> our nation's public schools

Hear hear.

subject) of the message: