Re: DSM: RE: convesation wandering (formerly Hybrid Schools)

From: william van horn (wmvh1@excite.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 13:04:18 EDT

Some of that "acting out" in way of unsocial behavior may be caused by the
nervousness. I sub in public high schools and am often amazed at the
difference in the personality of a disruptive student when comparing him
doing the assignment to just talking to him about his interests. How does
SVS work with a student who has interests that he pursues but doesn't know
how to pursue those same in school?

*****> From: Sam Senteney <sambo01@pacbell.net>

it can all work. Having a "all or nothing", "take it or leave it" approach
does nothing to bring the nervous on board."
 To me this is a good thing and exactly the point!  We in Sacramento have
>had
 more than our share of "nervous" on board, and after all is said and done
they almost always leave.  And usually it is not a plesant experience. On
the other hand, those who buy the "all or nothing", "take it or leave it"
of our philosophy stick around and are contributing members of the
community. ***********

.