Re: DSM: RE: convesation wandering (formerly Hybrid Schools)

From: MssKolleen@aol.com
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 13:47:28 EDT

>There can be no compromise between freedom and government controls; to
>accept "just a few controls" is to surrender the principle of inalienable
>rights and to substitute for it the principle of the governments unlimited,
arbitrary
>power. There can be no compromise on basic principles or on fundamental
issues.
>What would you regard as a "compromise" between life and death? Or between
>truth and falsehood? Or between reason and rationality?

Lots of greaet discussion going on about a 'Hybrid' school then
Alexander's obstute obsevation about stop fighting with eachother on
issues that we all already agree upon - Sudburym-model education IS the
future.

When I went off the subject about smoking and suicide and intervention..
I guess what I was trying to get across was that Sudbury IS a Hybrid
school.

It conforms to the goverment impositions of legality (as opposed to
religious lawfulness) even if those legalities were sanctioned by
lobbying groups such as the tobacco industry.

I'm sure a Sudbury student who is allowed to smoke on campus will surely
be coerced from a suicide attempt (SVS + SM staff members, please correct
me if I'm wrong here).

Its not that I condone either suicide or tobacco, I'm just trying to find
the words that explain the compromise of the SM using the extent of the
govermental legal impositions on freedom.

When a child is allowed to choose if the vaccinations are going to harm
or possibly kill him or her. When they are give their first choice of
breast over bottle and its made into a legal right. When they are given
their choice over a family bed as opposed to being abandoned in the
nighttime in addition to the abolition of the legalness corporal
punishment and other such freedoms as they grow from infancy to
maturation and beyond, then we will have a truly democratic society for
children.

In the mean time, I think SVS and the SM do a damn good job of hybrid
democracy to the extent allowed by govermental law.

warm regards,
kolleen

ps. Thanks for the synopsis of the thread. I deeply appreciate the time
and effort on that one!