DSM: RE: convesation wandering Our Trojon Horse digest

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 10:47:57 EDT

Actually, Laura wrote
> >I am more interested in discussing why it is the prevailing view that
> >anything that is NOT a Sudbury cannot succeed. Any thoughts? Why so much
> >disdain for other alternatives that are at least closer to SVS than
> >traditional?

And David Rovner asked:
> Doesn't Life Require Compromise?
>
> Two definitions of compromise:
>
> 1. A compromise is an adjustment of conflicting claims by mutual
concessions.

> There can be no compromise between freedom and government controls; to
accept
> "just a few controls" is to surrender the principle of inalienable rights
and to
> substitute for it the principle of the governments unlimited, arbitrary
power.
> There can be no compromise on basic principles or on fundamental issues.
What
> would you regard as a "compromise" between life and death? Or between
truth and
> falsehood?
> Or between reason and rationality?
>
> 2. Today, however, when people speak of "compromise", what they mean is
not a
> legitimate concession or trade, but precisely the betrayal of one's
principles -- the
> unilateral surrender to any groundless, irrational claim.

Blimey. More of this deep philosophy stuff. If I'm not carefull, brain cells
will
start growing!

"compromise", the betrayal of one's principles, to accept "just a few
controls" is to surrender

We a surely seeing from the wrong perspective. We are too defensive. We
do not need to defend the ideal that we have come to understand. We are
no longer the -victims- and should hurry up and lose the victim complex.
In getting the broader message to the broader public, is we who need to
go on the offensive.

My persective is that we need to persuade the -education establishment-
to "compromise", to to accept "just a few decontrols". We don't have to
move from our point, but they -must- move theirs.

Alexander Streater
Message to teachers and parents:
Children learn in spite of us, not because of us!

LOL

glad you took up my call sign.