DSM: RE: convesation wandering Our Trojon Horse digest

From: David Rovner (rovners@netvision.net.il)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 10:40:40 EDT

Alexander Streater wrote:

>---------------------------------
>From: "Alexander / Michiru Streater" <uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp>
>To: <discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
>Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 05:03:18 +0900
>Subject: DSM: RE: convesation wandering Our Trojon Horse digest
>------------------------

>I am more interested in discussing why it is the prevailing view that
>anything that is NOT a Sudbury cannot succeed. Any thoughts? Why so much
>disdain for other alternatives that are at least closer to SVS than
>traditional?

Doesn't Life Require Compromise?

Two definitions of compromise:

1. A compromise is an adjustment of conflicting claims by mutual concessions.

There can be no compromise between freedom and government controls; to accept
"just a few controls" is to surrender the principle of inalienable rights and to
substitute for it the principle of the governments unlimited, arbitrary power.
There can be no compromise on basic principles or on fundamental issues. What
would you regard as a "compromise" between life and death? Or between truth and
falsehood?
Or between reason and rationality?

2. Today, however, when people speak of "compromise", what they mean is not a
legitimate concession or trade, but precisely the betrayal of one's principles -- the
unilateral surrender to any groundless, irrational claim.

David Rovner rovners@netvision.net.il