Re: DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojan Horse?

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 03:08:49 EDT

> I don't believe there to be a clear definition
> of a Sudbury school, but I'm basing my last statement on the idea that a
> Sudbury school is just another SVS, containing different people, the same
> philosophy regarding freedom and age rights, the school being run by the
> School Meeting and rule infractions being dealt with by the JC, students
> having the same vote as staff members, staff members being elected by the
> School Meeting, and having no other set requirements besides following
the
> rules in the lawbook, and attendance. So maybe I just did put a Sudbury
> school into words. But I may be wrong, that is just what I think is the
> structure of Sudbury Valley. And a Sudbury school is modeled after SVS for
> the most part. Right?
>
> ~Myla~ from SVS

Dear Mr Robin,

Did you go to a traditional school as a child, or something else like a
Montasori? In your oppinion, for a regular school to move in the right
direction (vis-a-vis an SVS/SHS model), what useful and -do able- steps
could be taken in schools in your country to begin the process?

Alexander Streater