DSM: RE: the trojan horse digest

From: Alan or Laura Gabelsberg (argable@swbell.net)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 18:09:42 EDT

Well, Alexander, I read through the digest very carefully. (Clever subject
heading, by the way) I am much more at peace about this conversation now.
Thank you for taking the time to do that. This helped me a great deal. I
was embarrassed to point out what may be obvious and beside the point to
other people, that being my question about why there is this disdain for
anything that is not completely SVS.

Some of the emotion I hear, maybe frustration, that gets released is
understandable, because of the great conviction that people have in SVS, and
how hard one has to work to achieve a school, but that same emotion turned
outward with fear and protectiveness can be frightening. I like what you
said about pluralism and if I understand it correctly, you are saying that
SVS philosophy includes valuing individuals and their own ways of doing
things and that this should mean also valuing other school's attempts to
create/correct their own systems. Is my understanding correct?

I also liked how you put the historical perspective back into it when you
mentioned the Industrial Era, I remembered Greenberg's essay when you
mentioned it.

Many thanks for your careful packaging of a very interesting thread......

Laura