RE: DSM: And the right answer is. . . there's no paradigm er . . .I think

From: Liz Reid&Errol Strelnikoff (lizanderrol@home.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 18:00:37 EDT

> When Sudbury Valley declines to teach, I believe
> they actually lose the want
> in themselves. Carl Jung said the therapist must
> not want the client to get
> well. In like manner the great staff at Sudbury
> must not want the child to
> learn. Rather it is that each of us knows in our
> bones that the want is in
> the child. And that that want is sufficient.

As in when you want something very much it is often very
difficult to attain. Your very longing stands in the way of
actually achieving it. Then when you let go of your desire
you find that what you wanted is now possible.

Strange that that should be the case. I wonder how logic
would explain that one.

I do wonder if the want is sufficient in the child. It
helps when the environment is good also. And the company.

Is the environment good at a Sudbury School? How about the
company? Is it important?

Liz