Re: DSM: RE: Re: RE: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 22:09:48 EDT

I hope that I did not show disdain towards progressive
schools. The argument I was trying to make is tat the
_relevent_ aspects of the Sudbury Model (equality before the
law, political democracy, freedom from a curricula) are
all-or-nothing features that define a Sudbury school -- that
there is no way to make something "half" Sudbury.

Frankly, I think that it would be showing _grave_ disrespect
towards other schools to suggest that "they are on the way
towards being Sudbury Schools." Other schools have their
own carefully thought through (or, in some cases, less
carefully thought through) educational philosophies -- to
make THOSE schools curriculum free would _destroy_ their
model just as thoroughly as placing a curriculum in a
Sudbury Model School would destroy the Sudbury Model.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org