Re: DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 21:59:57 EDT

Progressive schools lay out not a proscriptive set of
regulations, but a descriptive set of regulations (just as
traditional schools do). It goes hand-in-hand with having a
"curriculum" or a set of things that one feels _must_ be
done, rather than relying only on a list of things that must
_not_ be done.

Living under a proscriptive set of rules (e.g. "do anything
BUT ...") is _obviously_ a dramatically different situation
that living under a descriptive one (e.g. "do any of the
things on this list"). To say that anything is OK unless
_prohibited_ is to leave people free to come up with things
to do that nobody foresaw.

You cannot "move towards" giving another person the _same_
respect that you have. The closest that you can come when
"hybriding" any equal society with an inequal one is to
retain two "classes" of people while reducing the number of
points of difference between the two classes of people. It
seems to me that _having_ two classes of people has profound
and destructive effects on any society.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org