Re: DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 17:08:47 EDT

Hi there Scott:

You wrote:

> We can debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
> til the cows come home. My point stands though -- there is
> a very different feeling between being allowed to choose
> _between_ a narrow band of alternatives laid out in advance,
> and being free to do _anything_ not expressly forbidden by
> statute.
>
> Even if there are 10000 activities laid out in advance that
> is a narrow band of alternatives, as a function of what the
> real choices are to a person with freedom of movement and
> control of her/his own time.

What, however, is the difference between "being free to
do _anything_ not expressly forbidden by statute" and
being free to choose between, not 10,000 activities, but
an _unlimited number_ of activities, while it is the
forbidden ones that are expressly laid out and listed in
advance? I personally see no difference whatsoever.

There is at least one thing a Sudbury school is forbidden
to do *in advance*, even democratically: and that is, to
remove democracy from the school! For if it does that,
it no longer remains a Sudbury school.

It is impossible to have COMPLETE freedom, for that
entails losing freedom itself. It's not a question of theo-
logy -- cf. "angels on the head of a pin" -- but of logic.

So the question is merely one of how long the list of
forbidden activites is, and what that list contains. Because
even a Sudbury school has got to have such a list, and
even if the list contains just one item (as noted above).
The list may be unwritten, but it's there all the same.

Best wishes,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>