DSM: RE: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Sam Senteney (sambo01@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 15:42:34 EDT

Sam here -

>> I use to say:
>> Either you are pregnant or you are not.
> You cannot be HALF PREGNANT.
>
>Of course you can!
>
>It's called "mid-term". And a little bit pregnant is can be
>can be considered " at the start of pregnancy".

This is a specious semantic argument, and I'm not buying it. While many
conditions are not steady state, having a continuum, (shades of gray as it
were) this is not one. Pregnancy is a steady state condition, you are or are
not. Being "mid-term", or anywhere in that condition is still in that
condition. Being "mid-term" is obviously being pregnant. If you were to
argue about transition effects " at the start of pregnancy", that razor thin
state where one transitions into pregnancy and which microsecond and
condition occurs in the flipping of the switch, I might be persuaded. HALF
PREGNANT meaning "mid-term" is cute, but inaccurate.