Re: DSM: And the right answer is. . . teacing by doing

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 10:06:46 EDT

Dear Scott David Gray

> Discarding the idea of teaching does _not_ mean that one
> discards the idea of passing information, or the practice of
> making arguments.

absolutly !

snipped

> If one person were hurting another in a Sudbury Model
> School, you can _bet_ that a member of a Sudbury Model
> School community would intervene. And when I see adults in
> the wider community hurting children, you can bet that I see
> no crime in intervening there either.

Beautiful. And you have moved me. SVS, (and other institutions
and individuals) are putting into practice "learning by doing"
instead of "learning from lecture". Because it works for the
long term. In Japan some time ago, due to sagging morals
(or political expediency?), the ministry of education insituted
lessons on morals and moral behavior. Can you imagine the
reaction of a class of (45-50) hormonal teenagers, to some
boring middle-aged fart, standing on the class podium in front
of the black board lecturing them on moral behavior?

The other night, I heard screaming, so rushed out to find a
mother trying to prevent her teenager leap from a bridge.
What was sickening was not that -not-one-other-person-
came out to see what was going on, but that there were
couples in their 20's and 30's wondering by, watching.

So much for "moral" education !

> So, here's preaching, arguing, and communicating at
> you. :-)

Preach on ! It's called "an exchange of ideas", and it's
why we are all here.

Alexander Streater