DSM: RE: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojan Horse?

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 09:27:45 EDT

I have seen many attempts to give students limited freedom in conventional
schools, and while these steps confer limited benefit upon students, I
shudder to see these schools compared to a Sudbury School.

I send my children to a Sudbury School for what the school allows them to
become, and while I originally based that assessment on the many graduates
of the schools to whom I have experienced, I now include in that the direct
experience of seeing my children and others blossom into Sudbury kids before
my eyes.

In all my experience with alternative schools, schools without walls, open
campus schools, etc., I see nothing that even remotely comes close to SM
schools, not only in terms of the program, but in the culture.

IMO, the absolute right of students to run the school is the magic bullet,
and anything else is just another school that doesn't belong to them.
Everything a child does in the school is orbiting around that fact; they
cannot excape it. And no matter what, if a student stays there long enough,
that fact will *force* her to confront the fact that any limitations placed
in front of her have come from within her.

As far as fear of the parent is concerned, where the movement is right now
is in a place where the word is still getting out to people who will
immediately see the school for what it is and be unconcerned with how the
model contrasts with other schools. The kind of people that will be
frightened merely because the school currently runs counter to our nation's
educational culture mindset are a) often not "keepers", and b) will feel
more comfortable in the future when they see hundreds of SM schools with
thousands of families of the former type, rather than dozens of schools with
a dozen families each.

The problem that the latter type families have is not a problem of the
school's, but a problem they have with the larger culture contrasting with
the school. And based on our experiences, it is a mistake for the school to
try and "fix" this problem (if it is even possible), as has been pointed out
repeatedly that these families tend not to stay and often try to hurt the
school upon their departure.

Additionally, I have never in my life heard of a school which gives
token/limited power to its students transitioning to actual democratic
governance. Jerry?

-Joe Jackson
mailto:shoeless@jazztbone.com
http://www.jazztbone.com