DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 11:34:36 EDT

Hi Sam,

I said:
> "Free schools frighten many people simply because they have no
> idea how it can all work. Having a "all or nothing", "take it or leave it"
> approach does nothing to bring the nervous on board."

> To me this is a good thing and exactly the point! We in Sacramento have
had
> more than our share of "nervous" on board, and after all is said and done
> they almost always leave. And usually it is not a plesant experience. On
> the other hand, those who buy the "all or nothing", "take it or leave it"
of
> our philosophy stick around and are contributing members of the community.

Of course ! But that is because you -are- an SVS model school. No-one
is arguing with that. And to have the nervous on board is -definately- an
error. Well done .

But the discussion is now at a tangent. The trojon horse is not for SVS
model schools, but for ordinary ones. If you have full SVS status, no
worries.

> Hybrids do not work.

Well blimey ! That's a b o l d statment.? Can you give some examples
and reasons why it failed?

> A Sudbury school is what it is, and parts-swapping
> creates something that is not a Sudbury school. "A regular school that
> provides more choice to it's students about what they do during the day"
is
> not a Sudbury School.

Agreed. Blimey ! Agreed. Please don't think anyone was.

> You can call it a hybrid Sudbury if you want, but is
> more like a prison that offers McDonalds in addition to the regular dinner
> fare. It may offer more choice, but still is not freedom by any stretch
of
> the imagination.

Well that's a start!

> "A sliding approach needs to be provided." You can offer Taco Bell next
> year or possibly two or three kinds of toothpaste the year after, but for
> all that sliding you still don't have freedom, just a few more choices.

And the n a few more, and more and then you are on the road to freedom.
And getting on the road is the first step.

> Do the smooth and successful conversion of the more extreme and regimented
> schools, but don't tinker with creating the missing link, because there is
> none.

You lost me. What are you talking about?

Alexander Streater