Re: DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 00:40:05 EDT

The key to being a student in a Sudbury Model School is that
you are trusted completely, with all the same rights and
freedoms as the adults in the school (more, actually,
because the staff are obligated to certain things by
contract). The responsibility and sense of self exhibited
by SVS students and alumni comes directly from living up to
this total trust.

You are not showing trust in a person when you create
"safeguards" to prevent her/him from making the "wrong"
choices. You are not putting faith in a person when you
tell her/him that THESE hours are hers/his but not THOSE
hours.

The very thing that has made Sudbury Schools succesful is
the fact that the trust and freedom are COMPLETE. Anything
less may be a good thing compared to a traditional school,
in so far as the students are under that much less pressure.
But students in such a school are missing out on _the_ vital
aspect of a Sudbury education; true responsibility for
oneself.

I do not believe that a "hybrid" Sudbury School is possible,
any more than it is possible to be "a little" pregnant.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org