DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 00:15:46 EDT

Dear Bill,
> Mimsy Sadofsky, in one of the tapes, fields the question as to whether
there
> could be a hybrid school, a school between what Sudbury Valley is and
what a
> traditional school is. My best answer is that no, they are really two
> different things (the 2d and the 3d). They are orthogonal.

A hybrid school. Is this one where:

a) some of the kids that attend belong to the "free" part of it while
        the other half of the kids attend lessons as normal (and look out
        of the window to see the others wasting their time on the grass
        while they settle back into their chairs comfortable in the
        knowledge that they will certainly "make it")

b) A regular school that provides more choice to it's students about
        what they do during the day

?

I think we can all agree that the first is un-workable.

But the second case I give a resounding Y-E-S . . . with provissions,
the main one being that the school allows itself to move further in
the direction (of, say, freedom, or back to traditional learning) as the
system evolves and shows itself to be workable.

Free schools frighten many people simply because they have no
idea how it can all work. Having a "all or nothing", "take it or leave it"
approach does nothing to bring the nervous on board.

A sliding approach needs to be provided. Interestingly enough, it is my
observation that the more extreme and regimented a school is, the
more easily, smoothly and successfully the school can be "converted"

Alexander Streater