Re: DSM: And the right answer is. . . there's no paradigm er . . .I think

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 00:10:33 EDT

  Discarding the idea of teaching does _not_ mean that one
discards the idea of passing information, or the practice of
making arguments.
  People in Sudbury Model Schools do _not_ practice isolated
meditation in which an understanding of the world is
expected to come whole from inward looking. Rather, they
practice life in the free market of ideas -- in which people
can (and do) present their opinions in a respectful
community.

  I do not refuse to talk to people (call that "teaching" if
you will -- though the term implies something more
intentional and uni-directional than what I have in mind).
I do refuse to disrespect people.
  That goes for children, and it goes for adults. I will
not do any person the disservice or disrespect of hiding my
opinions when I think that s/he is doing something that
hurts another person.

  If one person were hurting another in a Sudbury Model
School, you can _bet_ that a member of a Sudbury Model
School community would intervene. And when I see adults in
the wider community hurting children, you can bet that I see
no crime in intervening there either.

  Is this a paradox or contradiction? I don't see it. It
seems to me wholly consistent to say "my aim is to let
people be" and then to CAREFULLY intervene in cases where
ONE person is not letting ANOTHER person be.

  So, here's preaching, arguing, and communicating at
you. :-)

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org