DSM: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: DSM Video games

From: Liz Reid&Errol Strelnikoff (lizanderrol@home.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 23:46:06 EDT

> I feel the opposite.

Good! I hope to hear from others too who feel like you and
their reasons.

> When I was a kid we played outside all the time because
> access to enriching
> things like television, video games, PC games and the
> internet either didn't
> exist or were very limited. We played in the dirt because
> we were bored
> shitless. We dreamed up scenario using plastic army men
and sticks.
> Definitely not as good as computers.

I may again be on the total wrong track, but being bored
often seems to be an interesting state for kids to be in.
They moan and complain and seem very misarble and then you
suddenly notice that the moaning has stopped and they are
totally involved in a game of their own devising.

I have nothing against the scenarios that children come up
with in their heads and I am not convinced that these are
not as enriching as computers. Personally I like both but I
worry that when kids are very exposed to tv and video games
that their imaginative play suffers. I know that this is a
controversial opinion so I welcome conversing on it.

> I'm not really sure why you would think of television as
> sugar. We have two
> televisions with satellite, and all our kids ever watch is
> Animal Planet a
> half hour a day or so. Television is enriching in quite a
> few more ways
> than sugar is (although sugar has plenty of non-nutritive
enriching
> properties). Is it because TV is stimulating and sugar is
> stimulating as
> well?

Also because sugar seems like a default food. When there
aren't enough tasty savory foods available my children
choose sugary items by default. I often find tv to be the
default for when there aren't enough playmates around.

> Anyway, our kids watch as much TV as they want. When they
> were young they
> might have spent an hour or more a day, but then they
moved
> on to better
> things. Lots of kids (especially the
> conventionally-schooled neighbor kids)
> watch more TV, but I think that's because adults make
their lives
> fantastically dull all day and then they leave school
> exhausted but craving
> stimulation. The manic-depressive pattern of the classic
> workaholic.

I think you put this very well. I have also noticed how
when tv is controlled it becomes much more interesting to
watch.

> My kids lead a more consistent and sane existence, and do
> so without my
> trying to structure their lives.

I wonder if I could be structuring their lives by not having
bought tv or computer games? I even go so far as to having
chosen the environment we live in.

Liz