DSM: RE: RE: RE: RE: DSM Video games

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 08:05:50 EDT

I feel the opposite.

When I was a kid we played outside all the time because access to enriching
things like television, video games, PC games and the internet either didn't
exist or were very limited. We played in the dirt because we were bored
shitless. We dreamed up scenario using plastic army men and sticks.
Definitely not as good as computers.

I'm not really sure why you would think of television as sugar. We have two
televisions with satellite, and all our kids ever watch is Animal Planet a
half hour a day or so. Television is enriching in quite a few more ways
than sugar is (although sugar has plenty of non-nutritive enriching
properties). Is it because TV is stimulating and sugar is stimulating as
well?

Anyway, our kids watch as much TV as they want. When they were young they
might have spent an hour or more a day, but then they moved on to better
things. Lots of kids (especially the conventionally-schooled neighbor kids)
watch more TV, but I think that's because adults make their lives
fantastically dull all day and then they leave school exhausted but craving
stimulation. The manic-depressive pattern of the classic workaholic.

My kids lead a more consistent and sane existence, and do so without my
trying to structure their lives.

-Joe Jackson